“When you have a complex RICO question, you get John Floyd’s book and try and figure it out. If you can’t figure it out, you call John.” – Former Attorney General of Georgia
The firm’s RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations) practice is regularly involved in high-stakes RICO cases across the country. We are frequently called upon to represent both plaintiffs and defendants at the trial and appellate levels in federal and state courts.
Our highly regarded RICO group includes John Floyd, whom a client recently described as "probably the leading authority on racketeering in the U.S." John is the author of the only book analyzing every state RICO statute and regularly gives lectures and chairs seminars on RICO topics to lawyers in private practice, corporate practice and law enforcement. We also provide assistance to prosecutors with complex RICO actions, including the successful prosecutions of educators and administrators who orchestrated one of the largest cheating scandals in the country, the former sheriff of DeKalb County, who had his successor murdered, and faculty members who stole $10 million from a state educational institution.
- Recently achieved dismissals on behalf of different clients in eight RICO cases in a row, prevailing in different courts on novel issues involving statute of limitations, enterprise, standing and extraterritoriality.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order and order for accounting on behalf of a mining company whose property was being mined by another company.
- Successfully defended a sizeable jury award secured by a chemical sales company in a civil RICO trial in two appeals to the Supreme Court of Georgia. In these cases, the Georgia Supreme Court recognized, for the first time, that corporations can be sued under the Georgia RICO Act and that the preponderance-of-the-evidence burden of proof applies to such claims.
- Represented a class in a federal and Georgia RICO action involving the employment of illegal workers.
- Defeated, on appeal, a RICO claim against Georgia title pawn brokers in both the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court of Georgia.
- Successfully defended the officers of a nursing home company against fraud and racketeering claims brought by directors and shareholders seeking more than $370 million.
- Represented a defendant accused of participating in a commercial fraud ring, settling the case on terms that were favorable to our client and re-establishing a business relationship between the defendant and the plaintiff company.
- Acted as co-counsel in the defense of a subsidiary of a Fortune 500 corporation during a RICO prosecution by a midwestern district attorneys’ office.
- Helped convict eleven teachers and administrators of Georgia RICO conspiracy in the longest criminal trial in Georgia history.
- Helped convict the former sheriff of DeKalb County, who was found guilty of ordering the murder of his elected successor, and successfully defended the conviction in the Georgia Supreme Court.
- Helped convict two members of the faculty at The Medical College of Georgia who had stolen more than $10 million in research funds. Over 99% of the stolen funds were subsequently recovered.
- April 21, 2020
- Bondurant wins dismissals of three Hong Kong-based companies from a series of RICO actions filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of IowaApril 2, 2020
- May 31, 2019Law. com
- April 1, 2015Atlanta Journal Constitution
- September 20, 2013Georgia Business Litigation
- September 12, 2008Atlanta Business Chronicle
- July 19, 2003
- RICO State by State: A Guide to Litigation Under the State Racketeering StatutesAmerican Bar Association, Section of Antitrust Law 2011 and 1998
- September 20, 2018
- November 13, 2015
- November 7, 2013
- February 21, 2012
- January 19, 2012
- November 18, 2011
- September 10, 2010
- October 2, 2009
- November 17, 2008
- February 6, 2008
- November 9, 2007
- Ben Fox speaks on "Pretrial Proceedings: Strategic Use of Motions and Discovery in Civil Rico Cases"November 9, 2007
- September 20, 2007
- June 1, 2007
- December 9, 2005
- November 5, 2005
- November 4, 2005
- March 25, 2005
- John Floyd gives presentation on "The Use of RICO in White Collar Crime" to the National College of District AttorneysFebruary 17, 2005
- John Floyd gives presentation on "Recognizing and Making Effective Use of RICO" to the National College of District AttorneysApril 8, 2004