Mickey Mixson represents individuals and corporations in a wide variety of business disputes. He has successfully presented hundreds of complex commercial disputes to juries, arbitration panels and judges, gaining a reputation for success with cases considered “unwinnable” by others.
Mickey’s areas of focus include business torts, corporate governance, partnership and fiduciary disputes, insurance coverage and bad faith litigation, attorney and accountant liability, RICO, tender offers, and proxy and securities litigation. In recent years, he has recovered awards and settlements for clients totaling well over $2 billion. He has an equally successful record on the defense side, having obtained summary judgments, dismissals and defense verdicts for numerous major claims.
Mickey is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, a Fellow in the International Academy of Trial Lawyers, and recognized by Chambers USA and Chambers Global as one of the highest-ranking trial lawyers in the United States, and among the top commercial litigators in Georgia. According to Chambers, he is a "creative and diligent trial lawyer" with "a superb touch with juries" and "has a fantastic record of success in complex commercial disputes and comes highly regarded for his work in business torts, corporate governance and fiduciary disputes." The most recent version of Chambers USA described him as "one hell of a lawyer."
Mickey is a frequent lecturer, and has published numerous articles on trial practice and business litigation issues such as the effective use of experts, presenting persuasive opening and closing arguments and the ACC Value Challenge. He is currently president of the Atlanta chapter of the International Network of Boutique Law Firms.
Co-counsel for the plaintiffs, Six Flags Over Georgia, in a breach of fiduciary duty case against Time Warner Entertainment which resulted in a $454 million jury verdict, the largest verdict ever awarded in Georgia (a verdict which was affirmed on appeal and paid in full).
Lead counsel representing David McDavid in obtaining a $281 million jury verdict against Turner Broadcasting System (TBS) for breaching an agreement to sell McDavid the Atlanta Hawks, the Atlanta Thrashers and the operating rights to Philips Arena.
Affirmed in full on appeal, the jury verdict is the largest compensatory damage award in Georgia history.
Lead counsel for the plaintiff class in Abdallah v. Coca-Cola Co., the largest private class action racial discrimination settlement in history, which settled for $192.5 million.
Achieved a settlement in a contract dispute case between a leading transportation company and a major supplier, resulting in $200+ million recovery for our client.
Represented several groups of individuals asserting related professional liability claims involving tax shelters, recovering more than $350 million through a combination of settlements and awards.
Successfully defended a major regional accounting firm from professional malpractice, fraud and RICO claims, winning summary judgment on all counts.
Successfully defended Farley Industries in a dissenters’ rights case before the Georgia Supreme Court, a decision of first impression which has become the seminal case on dissenters’ rights in Georgia.
Represented one of the largest real estate developers in the United States in the withdrawal of a major regional partner from hundreds of partnerships, including coordinating and successfully concluding simultaneous litigation in multiple forums.
Represented Novelis Corporation in a contract dispute with the consortium representing Coca Cola bottlers. Novelis, the world's leading producer of aluminum rolled products, supplies aluminum can sheet to Coke, which alleged that Novelis had violated the terms of their supply agreement's most favored nation provision. After three years of discovery and proceedings, the Superior Court in Fulton County, Georgia, granted summary judgment in favor of Novelis.
Successfully defended a major airline client in an international arbitration proceeding, recovering more than $40 million on its counterclaims.
Past President and Member, Board of Directors, Georgia Lawyers for the Arts
Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers
Member, American Bar Foundation
Member, Litigation section, Atlanta Bar Association
Member, Antitrust; Corporate and Banking; General Practice and Trial Law Sections, State Bar of Georgia
Member, Business and Litigation sections; Commercial and Banking Litigation and Business Tort Litigation committees; American Bar Association
President, Atlanta Chapter, International Network of Boutique Law Firms (INBLF)
Director and Member of the Executive Committee, International Network of Boutique Law Firms
Member, Lawyers Club of Atlanta
Honors and Awards
Finalist, Trial Lawyer of the Year Award, Trial Lawyers for Public Justice (Abdallah v. Coca-Cola Co. case)
Profiled by National Law Journal in a report recognizing 12 U.S. lawyers who recently won difficult cases and have a history of success
Member of Georgia’s “Legal Elite,” each year since the award’s inception
Named in Top 100 Georgia Super Lawyers, each year since the award’s inception
Named in 500 Leading Litigators in America, each year since the award’s inception
Named in Best Lawyers in America, each year since the award’s inception
Named as 2012 Atlanta Litigation - Securities Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in America
Georgia Top Trial Lawyer and Local Litigation Star, Benchmark Plaintiff
Who's Who Legal: Litigation
Benchmark 2017 National Star List of Top 100 Trial Lawyers
- May 14, 2019Chambers USA 2019
- February 16, 2019Super Lawyers
- August 15, 2018
- May 8, 2018Chambers USA 2018
- February 21, 2018
- February 21, 2017Super Lawyers
- February 6, 2017Best Lawyers
- September 14, 2016
- August 15, 2016Best Lawyers in America
- August 15, 2016The Best Lawyers in the USA
- February 19, 2016Super Lawyers
- January 15, 2016
- Emmet Bondurant and Mickey Mixson Recognized as Top 100 Trial Lawyers in America by Benchmark LitigationAugust 19, 2015Benchmark Litigation
- August 18, 2015The Best Lawyers in the USA
- May 20, 2015Chambers USA 2015
- August 18, 2014The Best Lawyers in the USA
- May 27, 2014Chambers USA 2014
- April 7, 2014Attorney At Law Magazine
- August 15, 2013The Best Lawyers in the USA
- May 28, 2013Chambers USA 2013
- February 21, 2013Super Lawyers
- November 27, 2012
- August 24, 2012The Best Lawyers in the USA
- June 2012Chambers USA 2012
- February 21, 2012Super Lawyers
- January 4, 2012
- November 2011Best Lawyers
- October 4, 2011
- June 2011Chambers USA 2011
- February 24, 2011
- February 22, 2011Atlanta Magazine
- 2010Chambers Global 2010
- July 8, 2010
- 2010Atlanta Magazine
- June 2010Chambers USA 2010
- 2010Best Lawyers
- Mickey Mixson is Featured in an Article About his Participation in an Association of Corporate Counsel Value Challenge EventMay 18, 2009Fulton County Daily Report
- H. Lamar "Mickey" Mixson Featured in an Interview on Law Business Insiders "America's Premiere Lawyers Series" About his Victory in the David McDavid TrialMarch 2, 2009Law Business Insiders
- 2007Lawdragon 500
Harvard Law School, J.D., 1974, cum laude
- Editor, Harvard Law Review
Washington & Lee University, B.A., 1970, magna cum laude; Honors with exceptional distinction in English
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Phi Eta Sigma
- State Bar of Georgia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Georgia