Litigation Practice - State and Local Government Litigation
“If a difficult or complex issue needs to be litigated, the team has the
ability, intelligence and wisdom to guide a client through that process.” – Chambers USA
Bondurant Mixson has extensive experience performing legal work for governmental entities. We are best positioned to assist clients with matters involving statutory and constitutional interpretation, challenges to legislative or administrative actions, election law and elections, annexation, affirmative litigation to recover funds, and other matters involving complex or novel legal issues.
Additional experience includes procurement disputes, Open Records Act and Open Meetings Act litigation, redevelopment issues, sales and property tax disputes, and government ethics and campaign finance issues.
- We currently represent Gwinnett County, Athens-Clarke County, and the City of Brookhaven in class litigation to collect franchise fees from the video streaming companies like Netflix, Hulu, and DirectTV on behalf of all of Georgia’s local governments.
- Successfully represented the City of Peachtree Corners in a lawsuit to collect years of unpaid rights-of-way fees from a multi-billion-dollar telecom.
- Successfully represented Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms and the City of Atlanta in the lawsuit Governor Kemp brought in an effort to invalidate the City of Atlanta’s Mask Order.
- Successfully defended a $250 million food and beverage concessions contract at Hartsfield-Jackson through an administrative protest, an administrative appeal, and multiple rounds of litigation.
- Successfully represented Athens-Clarke County in defending Athens-Clarke County’s COVID-related ordinances requiring masks in public spaces and reducing bars’ operating hours.
- Successfully helped the City of Brookhaven secure a unanimous ruling from a state-appointed arbitration panel. The ruling gave Brookhaven the right to move forward unimpeded with a 27+ acre annexation at the intersection of North Druid Hills and Briarcliff, thereby facilitating a major planned mixed-use development.
- Defended against quiet-title claims regarding ownership of dozens of high-profile government properties.
- Provide the City of Peachtree Corners litigation-related legal advice on complex matters as needed.
- Representing the City of Atlanta in litigation and arbitration involving annexations and various constitutional issues. This litigation has included several cases before the Georgia Supreme Court.
- Representing metro Atlanta local governments in connection with local option sales tax negotiations and litigation.
- Successfully representing a local elected utility commission in intergovernmental litigation.
- Representing builders and other interested parties in annexation-related litigation.
- Represented multiple members of the Municipal Gas Association of Georgia before the Georgia Public Service Commission and in the Georgia courts in disputes with regulated utility over service territory.
- Successfully conducted several annexation arbitrations on behalf of Georgia cities.