Litigation Practice - Trusts and Estates / Fiduciary Duty Litigation
“Talented and aggressive litigators
who deliver top-quality results.” – Chambers
The firm counsels and represents entities and individuals associated with high-net-worth trusts, including trustees, beneficiaries, grantors and others with interests in the trust corpus. In this capacity, we handle litigation over the trust corpus, access to the trust corpus and information, and disputes involving complicated trust and business transactions.
We are also frequently called upon to handle business disputes involving breaches of fiduciary duty, including partnerships and other corporate governance disputes. In these cases, our proven ability to achieve successful outcomes at trial gives us a strong advantage over firms that limit their practice to traditional trusts and estates. We also assist family lawyers in handling divorce matters that involve fiduciary disputes, especially where these disputes may become contentious.
- Won a $454 million jury verdict—the largest in Georgia history—for plaintiffs Six Flags Over Georgia in a breach of fiduciary duty action against Time Warner Entertainment.
- Successfully represented a grantor of a high-net-worth trust in a dispute over the trust corpus brought ancillary to a divorce dispute.
- Representing a third-party trustee where trusts had become a central focus of discovery and recovery in a divorce proceeding.
- Bringing claims on behalf of trustees for accounting and other relief over the terms of trusts holding significant family assets.
- Represented the owner of a broker-dealer in litigation alleging securities fraud and negligent supervision. Compelled arbitration and obtained affirmance of order of trial court dismissing action in favor of arbitration. Then obtained dismissal of client from NASD arbitration prior to final hearing.
- Obtained dismissal on behalf of a former officer of a corporation in action alleging misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of fiduciary duty.
- August 15, 2016Best Lawyers in America