“Punches far above its weight and offers stiff competition to all.” – Chambers
We have handled some of the most significant sports cases in recent years, resulting in groundbreaking decisions that have influenced the development of this area of law. For example, we recently obtained a $281 million jury verdict against Turner Broadcasting System for breaching an agreement to sell David McDavid the Atlanta Hawks, the Atlanta Thrashers and the operating rights to Philips Arena in Atlanta.
The firm also counsels and represents athletes in contract negotiations with professional teams, disputes with agents and business partners, NCAA investigations of collegiate athletes, broadcast and on-air talent, and general litigation advice. We work closely with athletes to navigate the increasingly complex professional sports landscape, creating successful futures both on and off the field.
- Represented the National Football League Players Association in obtaining summary judgment on a $20 million claim arising out of the NFLPA’s Financial Advisors Program.
- Obtained a $281 million jury verdict against Turner Broadcasting System for breaching an agreement to sell David McDavid the Atlanta Hawks, the Atlanta Thrashers and the operating rights to Philips Arena.
- Successfully represented a Division 1 college football player against NCAA allegations that he received improper benefits while still a student athlete. The athlete was not suspended by the school or the NCAA, was a high NFL draft pick and started for his NFL team as a rookie.
- Represented a sports facility development company in a suit filed by an individual advancing claims including fraud and breach of contract against the company and its founding members in their individual capacities. Plaintiff voluntarily dismissed the case.
- Provides professional athlete agent representation to several NFL players, including devising draft preparation strategies to garner exposure for NFL draft prospects to maximize draft stock—resulting in significant upward movement of player draft position.