“For 45 years Emmet Bondurant
has been the go-to lawyer when a business person
just can’t afford to lose a lawsuit.” – Best Lawyers
- Obtained a $281 million jury verdict—the largest compensatory damage award in Georgia history—against Turner Broadcasting System for breaching an agreement to sell David McDavid the Atlanta Hawks, the Atlanta Thrashers and the operating rights to Philips Arena.
- Successfully reversed on appeal a $457 million judgment in a contract dispute over whether our client, Weyerhauser, had agreed to indemnify Paragon Trade Brands for patent infringement claims.
- Successfully defended the officers of a nursing home company against fraud and racketeering claims brought by directors and shareholders seeking more than $370 million.
- Won a $454 million jury verdict—the largest in Georgia history—for plaintiffs Six Flags Over Georgia in a breach of fiduciary duty action against Time Warner Entertainment.
- Successfully defended the directors and officers of a $30 billion financial institution in multiple class action securities cases and insurance regulator lawsuits.
- Successfully represented whistleblowers in a False Claims Act case against a leading pharmaceutical company regarding illegal off-label marketing of Botox for unapproved uses. We helped achieve a $600 million global civil/criminal settlement that was the largest in the history of the Northern District of Georgia.
- Successfully defended the Hospital Authority of Albany-Dougherty County in defeating antitrust violation claims brought by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and the Georgia State Attorney General’s office. The FTC sought to enjoin the $195 million acquisition of Palmyra Medical Center by the Hospital Authority of Albany-Dougherty County. A district court judge ruled that the Hospital Authority and other defendants were immune from antitrust claims, dismissed the FTC’s complaint with prejudice, and denied the FTC’s request for an injunction to prevent closing of the $195 million all-cash deal to acquire the 248-bed Palmyra hospital. The 11th Circuit Court affirmed the ruling and allowed the acquisition to move forward. Bondurant Mixson lawyers represented the Hospital Authority in Federal Court, the 11th Circuit Court, and during the FTC’s administrative process.
Plaintiffs’ Class Counsel in a class action antitrust case filed against Masco Corporation and the four largest manufacturers of insulation. The case settled for $112.25 million, one of the highest antitrust settlements to date in the state of Georgia. The case involved allegations that Masco and the manufacturers conspired to maintain and increase the difference between the prices charged to Masco for insulation and the prices charged to Masco’s competitors.
- Successfully represented Farley Industries in a dissenters’ rights case before the Georgia Supreme Court, which has become the seminal case on dissenters' rights in Georgia. The Georgia Court of Appeals resolved two questions of first impression in Georgia in favor of our clients.
- Successfully represented the National Football League Players Association in obtaining summary judgment on a $20 million claim arising out of the NFLPA’s Financial Advisors Program.
- Acted as lead counsel for the plaintiff class in the largest private class action racial discrimination settlement in history, which settled for $192.5 million.
- Obtained certification of a class of approximately 3,000 foster children in a case alleging that foster care and child protective services in Atlanta are legally and constitutionally deficient.
- Obtained a defense verdict for Wyle Laboratories, successfully defeating the plaintiff’s claim for $150 million in damages.
- Won a defense jury verdict for Box USA on claims in which the plaintiff sought $120 million in damages.
- Achieved a settlement exceeding $200 million in a contract dispute between our client, a leading transportation company, and a major supplier.
- Won a significant defense victory, after three years of discovery and proceedings, for Novelis Corporation in a contract dispute with the consortium representing all North American Coca-Cola bottlers.
- Successfully represented a major real estate developer with claims for tortious interference and unfair competition. The parties settled after answering written discovery and before undertaking significant document discovery.
- Represented one of the largest real estate developers in the United States in the withdrawal of a major regional partner from multiple partnerships, including successfully coordinating and concluding simultaneous litigation in multiple forums.
- Achieved a complete defense jury verdict on accounting fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and RICO claims arising out of a corporate merger, where the plaintiffs were seeking nearly $400 million in treble damages.
- Obtained the reversal of an intermediate appellate decision certifying a class action seeking a $110 million recovery under the federal Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- Represented one of the world’s largest airlines in a variety of class action lawsuits filed around the country asserting claims under Sections 1 and 2 of the Sherman Act.
Prior results do not guarantee a similar outcome and depend on the facts of each matter.